Going Home

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Some good news, folks. I'll be heading to Amarillo on the 22nd for my cousin's wedding. No, I'm not the photographer. *huge sigh of relief from the peanut gallery* I'm looking forward to seeing the family, playing some golf, and taking lots of picture. Now what does Amarillo have to offer, you may ask yourself? Good question! I'll tell ya.

  1. The Cadillac Ranch
  2. Palo Duro Canyon
  3. My brain damaged relatives. You know there's going to be good pictures when the whole lot of them are certifiable. If the cops show up I'll be sure to get a shot of that.
  4. The Big Texan
  5. A possible lightning storm. Though it may be too early in the season for them the lightning storms that roll in during the Spring are phenomenal. Watching bolt after bolt jump from cloud to cloud then strike the prairie just can't be described. I simply don't have the words.
  6. The "hill" country North-West of town down Old Boys Ranch road. Anyone living in the real hill country of Texas would laugh, but it really is very pretty land. I recall a rancher building a white fence around the middle of one of the plateaus out that way in an effort to make the top of the plateau "float" in the air. I'd be shocked if the fence is still there, but if I see it I'll show you.
  7. The crazy street signs design by some mad artist cemented into the middle of people's yards all over town.
  8. Downtown and the East end of Amarillo Boulevard
  9. The "Old West" meets "the '50s" feel to so many of the buildings and art.
  10. Last, be certainly not least - Route 66.
Amarillo is where I was born, where I spent my summer's growing up, where I finished high school, learned to bartend, received an Associates to start my current career, and where my two kids were born. Though I doubt I'll ever live there again, I've a place in my heart for the prairie town. This will be my first time back in 8 years, so it'll be good to see what's changed, how it's grown, and what the people that bought my granddad's house did to it. He used to live on Memory Lane, and I've walked down his street. Yeah, I'm lame.

0 comments: