Galveston Island

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Needed to get out of the house yesterday, so I hit some range balls and then headed to Galveston to take pictures. The Strand is an obvious spot, as is the beach, but I headed over to UTMB around sunset to capture the buildings. Even had an interesting conversation with the UTMB Police while I was there. Apparently there's a building they would rather remain "secret". Shhhh, don't tell anyone (but here's a PUBLIC web site about it!). Now if you wanted to build a new building that you didn't want people taking pictures of, wouldn't you make the thing ugly and boring instead of one of the most interesting buildings on campus? I was told it even looks more suspicious if you carry around an SLR instead of a point and shoot. Um, sure - every terrorist group has extra cash to buy the expensive cameras instead of a perfectly good $150 pocket camera that doesn't draw attention and hides away in your shirt pocket. Like I said, it was an interesting conversation. I am happy to report the officer was very polite, and didn't ask to see what I was shooting. I showed him anyway.


0 comments: