The first post!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I'm no writer, so I feel a bit crazy starting a blog. However it seems like a good way to record my growth as a photographer, allow critique, and maybe have some fun. Besides, I read this article and it told me to.

About me...

Way back in high school I wanted to become a photographer, but the parents said 'Nope, you won't make any money.' Well, I was stupid and listened to them, and now here I am, thirty four years old and working for money. Yeah yeah, I know. Lotsa people work to bring home a check, but every one of them longs to do something they love. Now, the good thing about working for the check is I can afford a pretty good camera. Of course, some people don't think the camera matters (and I happen to agree), but a good SLR can't hurt either! By the way, Ken Rockwell's website is a great read (He's the guy that says the camera doesn't matter - I'll let him explain why). I love his sense of humor, and he, like me, is a color fiend. Check his gallery for proof.

I love color, and I'm trying to learn how to use the camera to capture the best contrast and saturation possible. Composition and subject matter too, but then, my subject is usually the color itself. I've so much to learn and the journey has just begun.

The tools...

I recently purchased a Canon Digital Rebel XTi, but I only purchased the XTi body. Instead of getting the kit lense, I checked forums, buyer feedback and sites like DPReview for a decent walking-around lens. Eventually I settled on the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLR's. So far I'm happy with it, but I'm already itching to buy a few more to allow for even more versatility. If you are thinking about buying your first dSLR, I discovered you won't want to forget a lens cleaner, a lens filter (Protect your expensive lens glass with a cheap filter!), and maybe even a lens hood. I forgot to buy a cleaner and felt like an idiot when I discovered I needed one. Now I have one like this, and it works fairly well. I'm still not sure if the clothe people use to clean their glasses wouldn't work just as well.

This is getting long so I'll wrap it up. I hope you enjoy my work. Please feel free to write critiques - good and bad. The bad ones aren't fun to see, but they do help me grow.

Hey, if you made it this far I'm really impressed!

Thanks for reading,
Michael Seymour

0 comments: